SEL & SWPBIS Integration
The SEL & SWPBIS Integration Module focuses on integrating the Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) approach and the School-wide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (SWPBIS) approach. This module reviews the SEL and SWPBIS approaches, provides a rationale for integrating and aligning the two approaches, and provides practical strategies to support integration in schools. The purpose of this module is to help school professionals deepen their understanding of these approaches, how they are complementary to one another, and how they can be integrated effectively to enhance student learning and development.
Lead Author: Sara Whitcomb, University of Massachusetts Amherst
Research Narrative Reviewed by: Dr. George Bear, University of Delaware & Delaware Positive Behavior Support Project
PowerPoint Developed and Reviewed by: Dr. Sara Whitcomb (University of Massachusetts Amherst), Angela Harris, M.A., Sarah Hearn, M.Ed., and Laura Davidson, M.A., (University of Delaware & Delaware Positive Behavior Support Project)
Audio Recorded by: Angela Harris, M.A., University of Delaware & Delaware Positive Behavior Support Project
Funding and Support from: The Delaware Department of Education through the Delaware Positive Behavior Support Project and the School Climate and Student Success Grant
In order to receive clock-hour credit for reviewing this information, sign up for the course through PDMS. Search for “PBS SEL & SWPBIS Integration Module” or course number 29050.
- Click on the link below to open the SEL & SWPBIS Integration Module Presentation.
- *Note: the presentation may take a few minutes to open. If you cannot open the presentation because the file size is too large, try saving the presentation and then opening it. This can be done by clicking on the presentation link below, clicking “save” and then clicking “open.”
- Once the slide show opens, do not “enable editing” if prompted to do so.
- Under the tab for “Slide Show,” select “From Beginning.”
- Be sure your computer sound is turned on.
- Click to progress through the slides, and sound should begin to play automatically.
- If you are having trouble seeing any graphics or parts of the presentation, try opening the link through a different internet browser (e.g., Firefox). Also, check to make sure you did not “enable editing” in the presentation.
SEL and SWPBIS Integration Module Presentation
Slide Narratives for SEL & SWPBIS Integration Module Presentation
Handout Version: SEL & SWPBIS Integration Module Presentation – This is a PDF version that can be printed out for note taking while viewing the presentation.
SEL & SWPBIS Integration Module – Research Narrative – This narrative contains the information that is presented in the presentation, but in greater detail and with a greater emphasis on the research behind SEL & SWPBIS integration. Numerous references to relevant research studies as well as resources are included.
Included below are resources that are referenced throughout the SEL & SWPBIS Integration Module presentation. There are sample forms, activities, useful tools, etc. Click on the links below to open the resources.
Envisioning Your School Climate Activity
Example Request for Assistance Form
Key Feature Evaluation Process – 2015-16
Ongoing Technical Assistance Plan
Primary Considerations and Recommendations for Integrating PBIS & SEL
Sample Social and Emotional Screening Measures
School-wide Evaluation Tool (SET) from PBIS Website
School Climate Survey Interpretation Worksheet 2016 – HOME
School Climate Survey Interpretation Worksheet 2016 – STAFF
School Climate Survey Interpretation Worksheet 2016 – STUDENT