CICO: Check-In/Check-Out Module
CICO is an evidence-based Tier 2 intervention to help students reconnect with adults and school expectations. This DE-PBS mini-learning module (46 mins total) walks viewers through the components and considerations of the Tier 2 Check-In/Check-Out intervention. The module presents key concepts and tools to help Tier 2 Teams to determine if this intervention is a good fit for their students, if they have appropriate resources, fidelity measures, and how the process works.
Interested in credit for participating in these webinars? Sign up for PDMS Course #30025 in Schoology. If you do not need PDMS credit, feel free to just use the resources on this page.
Questions? Reach out to Megan Pell
- Adding Check-In/Check-Out to MTSS (SCTG Webinar) by Center on PBIS . This webinar (run-time 63 minutes) discusses the rationale for implementing CICO, when schools might consider adopting CICO, CICO’s core features, and common barriers as well as solutions.
- Check In Check Out Video Tutorial: Educational Behavior Intervention by CICO Initiative. This video (run-time 8 minutes) shows a practical example of what CICO is, provides tips for implementation and data collection.
- Delaware Positive Behavior Support Project main website
- 7 Dos and Don’ts to Ensure Your CICO Program is the Best by PBIS Apps. This brief checklist outlines simple strategies to ensure proper implementation of CICO as well as common mistakes to avoid.
- Check-In/Check-Out: A Systematic Evaluation and Component Analysis by Amy Campbell and Cynthia Anderson. This 12 page article details a study involving four students using a CICO intervention. The study included removing teacher feedback sessions and examining how effective the intervention remained.
Suggested Implementation Manuals:
- Missouri Schoolwide Positive Behavior Support Project: Tier 2 Workbook – Chapter 5: Check-In/Check-Out
- Colorado Department of Education, Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports Project: CICO Self-Assessment and Action Plan
- CICO Self Assessment (page 1)
Data Sources and Tools:
- Hexagon Tool: This tool can be used by teams to evaluate new or existing CICO programs and how they align with student need and staff resources.
- Parent/Guardian Request for Assistance Form: This brief form is a sample template that Targeted (Tier 2) teams can request parents/ guardians to fill-out when requesting Tier 2 and/ or 3 support for a child who is exhibiting an academic or behavioral concern.
- Teacher’s Request for Assistance: This brief form is a sample template that Targeted (Tier 2) teams can request teachers to fill-out when requesting Tier 2 and/ or 3 support for a student who is exhibiting an academic or behavioral concern.
- Daily Progress Report (DPR) Examples
- CICO Daily Progress Report Data Tracking Tool (all students in CICO): Schools can use this document to track the number of students receiving CICO interventions. Schools can use this to track daily and weekly performances of students, as well group trends. Weekly comparisons are also generated by this tool.
- CICO DPR Data Tracking Tool – User Guide: This document provides users with more information about: Getting Started, Entering Your Students’ Data, Reviewing Calculations and Graphs, and Troubleshooting.
- Tier 2 Intervention Tracking and Graphing Tool: Schools can use this document to track the number of students receiving and responding to all Tier 2 interventions. Schools put in data each month and graphs are generated by month and by intervention.