This module focuses on developing School Safety. It provides an overview of what defines school safety, the primary factors that contribute to school safety, and recommended strategies and interventions to improve feelings of school safety.
Lead Authors: Dr. George Bear and Angela Harris, M.A., University of Delaware & Delaware Positive Behavior Support Project
Research Narrative Reviewed by: Dr. Aaron Kupchik, University of Delaware
PowerPoint Developed and Reviewed by: Angela Harris
Audio Recorded by: Fiona Lachman
Funding and Support from: The Delaware Department of Education through the Delaware Positive Behavior Support Project and the School Climate and Student Success Grant
In order to receive clock-hour credit for reviewing this information, sign up for the course through PDMS. Search for “PBS School Safety Module.” This module, along with the Teacher-Student Relationships, Student-Student Relationships, Bullying, and Engagement modules, is available on the School Climate Professional Development group in Schoology. The access code is 2P5NM-F56JT.
- Click on the link below to open the School Safety Module presentation.
- *Note: the presentation may take a few minutes to open. If you cannot open the presentation because the file size is too large, try saving the presentation and then opening it. This can be done by clicking on the presentation link below, clicking “save” and then clicking “open.”
- Once the slide show opens, do not “enable editing” if prompted to do so.
- Under the tab for “Slide Show,” select “From Beginning.”
- Be sure your computer’s sound is turned on.
- Click to progress through the slides, and sound should begin to play automatically.
- If you are having trouble seeing any graphics or parts of the presentation, try opening the link through a different internet browser (such as Firefox). Also check to make sure you did not “enable editing” in the presentation.
Handout Version – School Safety Module Presentation (This is a PDF version that can be printed out for note taking while viewing the presentation.)
School Safety Module – Research Narrative (This narrative contains the information that is presented in the presentation, but in greater detail and with a greater emphasis on the research behind School Safety. Numerous references to relevant research studies as well as resources are included.)
Included below are resources that are referenced throughout the School Safety Module. There are sample forms and worksheets, informational sheets and guides, useful tools, etc. Click on the links below to open the resources.