Save the Dates for upcoming 2022-2023 Cadre Meetings:
- Thursday October 20, 2022
- Thursday December 15, 2022
- Thursday February 16, 2023
- Thursday April 20, 2023
October 20, 2022 Cadre Meeting
DE-PBS Cadre Meeting⎯ 10/20/2022 Presentation
Welcome and Meet the DE-PBS Project Team
- 21-22 Recipients ⎯ Congratulations!
- 21-22 Applications for reference; Look for 22-23 applications to be posted winter 2023
- DE-MTSS-SEB Coach Contacts
- Cadre Meeting & Networking Materials
- Social, Emotional and Behavioral Wellbeing (SEBW) plan & related resources: Delaware’s state-level SEBW plan aids districts and charter schools in responding to and supporting the social, emotional and behavioral needs of students. This plan was developed across Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) teams and with input and support from partners, including the following:
- Guidance for the MTSS-SEB District Coaches 22-23 SY: This document outlines ongoing coaching goals around data, systems, and practices to reach desired outcomes. Guidelines for activities per season throughout the year are included along with embedded tools and resources. We encourage coaches to apply to their specific role and context.
Data & Related Resources
Professional Learning ⎯ Virtual Materials
- Universal Screening Process ⎯ Webinar Series
- Building Strong Team-Based Leadership Module ⎯This 50 minute professional learning module supports schools and districts to build or strengthen soling teaming foundations. This module is intended for both academic and non-academic teams and committees to view collaboratively. Viewers will learn about strategies for effective teaming and will be led through a series of team-based reflections and opportunities for implementation action-planning in order to increase best practices and ultimately lead to stronger systems and successful outcomes.
- The Hexagon Tool & Related Modules:
- Identifying Professional Learning for Staff: A Tool for Administrators, Coaches, and Others Who Are Selecting and Planning PL for Educators
- Strategies for De-escalating Student Behavior in the Classroom: This 2022 practice brief provides practical, research-based strategies educators can use to de-escalate challenging student behavior in the classroom. Despite the development of supportive, safe, and predictable school environments, students may, at times, become agitated, and their behavior may escalate to unsafe levels. With some advance planning, educators can reduce reliance on reactive strategies, such as punitive or exclusionary practices (e.g., restraint, seclusion, suspension, expulsion) in favor of safer, more instructive, and inclusive approaches.
- PBIS Apps- Articles & Podcasts⎯ Ep. 22 & Ep. 23 School-wide Strategies for Preventing Escalated Behavior: Explores the school-wide, classroom-wide systems and practices you can leverage to prevent problem behaviors from escalating in the first place.
- NEW! October 2022 Equity Summit – Creating an Equitable Multi-Tiered System of Support
- Personal Matrix module & related materials: This DE-PBS mini-learning module (15 mins total) walks viewers through a brief introduction of the PBIS Cultural Responsiveness Field Guide and the role of promoting situational appropriateness in a multi-tiered system of support (MTSS). The module then presents key concepts and tools found in the field guide that can help the viewer to better promote staff and student understanding and conversations regarding situational appropriateness and, more specifically, student background experiences in relationship to school-wide (SW) expectations.
December 15, 2022 Cadre Meeting
DE-PBS Cadre Meeting⎯ 12/15/2022 Presentation
Equity Committee Update
Our Equity Mission Statement:
- At the Delaware Positive Behavior Support Project, we are committed to improving outcomes for each student. Educational systems cannot be considered effective until they are effective for all students. A Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) can be a force for dismantling systemic racism and promoting equity or serve to perpetuate oppression. In recognition that black lives matter and given centuries of oppression, violence, and segregation, we must increase our commitment to improving outcomes for Black, Indigenous, and other Students of Color. PBIS teams embed equity into their implementation of all aspects of MTSS. Learn more about out community beliefs and practices here.
Equity-Focused Resource Reminders
- A 5-point Intervention Approach for Enhancing Equity in School Discipline (2018)
- Recommended for Coaches and Teams
- This guide provides 5 steps to address and prevent racial discipline disproportionality that focus on using discipline data to implement a multi-tiered, culturally responsive behavior framework and develop policies that promote disciplinary equity.
- PBIS Cultural Responsiveness Field Guide: Resources for Trainers and Coaches (2019)
- Recommended for Coaches and Teams
- This guide focuses on assisting trainers and coaches in school wide PBIS teams in implementing culturally responsive practices to enhance equity systemically.
Intro to ISLA: Inclusive Skill-Building Learning Approach
Professional Learning and Coaching
Fall Recap & Reminders:
October Cadre Resource Spotlight – Strategies for De-escalating Student Behavior in the Classroom:
- This 2022 practice brief provides practical, research-based strategies educators can use to de-escalate challenging student behavior in the classroom. Despite the development of supportive, safe, and predictable school environments, students may, at times, become agitated, and their behavior may escalate to unsafe levels. With some advance planning, educators can reduce reliance on reactive strategies, such as punitive or exclusionary practices (e.g., restraint, seclusion, suspension, expulsion) in favor of safer, more instructive, and inclusive approaches.
November MTSS-SEB Coaches Networking – Supporting and Responding to Students’ Social, Emotional, and Behavioral Needs: Evidence-Based Practices for Educators
- This Center on PBIS practice guide summarizes evidence-based, positive, and proactive practices that support and respond to students’ social, emotional, and behavioral (SEB) needs in classrooms and similar teaching and learning environments (e.g., small-group activity).
- Self-assessment & Planning Tools
- NEW! Supporting and Responding to Students’ SEB Needs– Self-assessment data entry template. Use this helpful tool to track status and priority data for implementation of school practices in supporting and responding to students’ social, emotional, and behavioral needs.
- NEW! Steps to Support and Respond to Students’ SEB Needs (.docx) — Word version of the self-assessment tool.
- SEB Support & Respond Action Plan Template- Individual
- Self-assessment & Planning Tools
Tier 2 Networking – Session 1 – 12/13/2022
DE-PBS Check-In/Check-Out Resources
Tier 3 Networking – Session 1 – 11/15/2022
2023 Looking Ahead & Related Resources
Secondary Networking & PBIS Community Resources
- The DE-PBS Project Website
- Center on PBIS High School Website: https://www.pbis.org/topics/high-school-pbis
- The APBS High School Facebook Site: https://www.facebook.com/HSNetworkAPBS/
Universal Screening Session & Process Resources
- SEB Screening Webinars
- Universal Screener Installation Action Plan
- Tier 3 Practices Workshop & Resources
Data & Related Resources
- Discipline Data Reporting Tool (DDRT): Visit this page for various DDRT templates and support documents including the New Google Sheets DDRT Templates available in 2- or 4-year entry.
Other Info & Reminders
- Guidance for the MTSS-SEB District Coaches 22-23 SY: This document outlines ongoing coaching goals around data, systems, and practices to reach desired outcomes. Guidelines for activities per season throughout the year are included among with embedded tools and resources. We encourage coaches to apply to their specific sole and context.
- Northeast PBIS Forum- Great east coast conference opportunity!
- May 18-19, 2023 – IN PERSON!
- Mystic, CT
- Request for proposals now open. Submission deadline is Friday, January 6, 2023.
February 16, 2023 Cadre Meeting
DE-PBS Cadre Electronic Meeting Notes:
Professional Learning – Recent Highlights & Upcoming Events
- Universal SEB Screening:
- For those of you who are continuing to work on selecting, implementing, and using universal SEB screeners, we have completed our 5-part webinar series, “Installing an SEB Screener”. The materials can be accessed on our website, or through PDMS (Course #31249). **For more information, please contact Niki Kendall
- A Universal SEB Screening for District & School Administrators session was held 2/14. We encourage you to check out the slides & referenced resources.
- Youth Mental Health First Aid Instructor Opportunity: Project DelAWARE and the Social, Emotional, Behavioral, Wellbeing Plan are funding two instructor cohorts scheduled for 5/31-6/2 and 6/27-6/29. YMHFA is an evidence-based Tier 1 mental health literacy curriculum and would support staff as you implement HB 301. To help guide considerations on the right fit for instructors, please review these brief informational slides.
- Upcoming DE-PBS Project Professional Learning:
- MTSS-SEB Coach Networking – 3/16 from 10-12 — Topic: Exploring the mental health landscape of supports across the state. (calendar invite sent)
- Tier 3 Networking Session – 3/21 from 9-10:30 (registration)
- Tier 2 Networking Session #3 — 4/27 from 3 – 4:30
- Northeast PBIS Leadership Forum — May 18-19th (more info & registration)
- Tier 1 School-Wide Team Training: NOTE: We are revisiting training dates and exploring options in spring/summer. More to come soon!
- Reminder: Online professional learning sessions always available!
- Delaware School Climate Survey: The enrollment period for the 2023 DE School Climate Survey has closed, but if a school missed this deadline contact, Sarah Hearn directly. The survey administration window is slated for mid-March — April 2023, and the CoVitality app will be utilized for administering the online surveys (no paper versions available). Access to this app is forthcoming for this year’s District Coaches/coordinators and building survey coordinators. District Coaches, your summary of participating schools and building coordinators is coming soon.
- 2022-23 Phase Recognition: Application info is coming soon!
- Discipline Data Reporting Tool: Keep up the solid DDRT Work! Over 80 schools submitted mid-year DDRT files and support was provided to schools/coaches as needed. We hope teams are routinely utilizing the data summaries included and sharing with you as their coaches.
- Center on PBIS guide Addressing Confidentiality while Supporting the Social-Emotional-Behavioral Needs of Students within Schools provides recommendations and strategies for addressing confidentiality as teams work together in an interconnected system within schools.
- Center on PBIS: Equity — While we have previously shared this page and it’s valuable resources, we wanted to let you know that additional recorded sessions related to the 5-point Intervention Approach for Enhancing Equity in School Discipline have been added. Consider hosting a watch party opportunity to dig into a recording and related resource with your teams & leaders!
April 20, 2023 Cadre Meeting
DE-PBS Cadre Meeting⎯ 4/20/23 Presentation Slides
Equity Committee Update
Data Updates & Reminders
School Year Reflection & Planning
- MTSS-SEB District Coaching Reflection Worksheet (2022-2023)
- Team Leader Interview Resource
- Returning to School During and After Crisis: A Guide to Supporting States, Districts, Schools, Educators, and Students through a Multi-Tiered Systems of Support Framework
- Questions for Reflecting on a Year of Learning
McIntosh, K. (n.d.) Creating an equitable multi-tiered system of support. Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports.